What Is Dandelion?
Have you seen those cute yellow fellows with the fluffiest puffs? They may look cute and aww so adorable to kids, but they are a big nuisance to farmers and lawn owners. What! Yes, really, and there are no two things about it. The best dandelion killer is the right thing to get rid of it.
Scientifically called Taraxacum Officinale, dandelions are very stubborn weeds; they are a species of the broadleaf weeds and unfortunately, are perennial, meaning that they can sprout all throughout the year. They grow quickly and in big clusters making it difficult to be controlled by manual pulling.
Your lawn will get a dark green color post-application. Espoma is safe for children, pets, and the environment. What more can you want?
What Is The Best Dandelion Killer?
The market is full of dandelion killers, and that is what will make your choice confusing. You want to look at the reviews closely by the users as well as read all the instructions given by the manufacturer before you decide on the best dandelion killer for yourself.
Here are some of the attributes that we think are essential for dandelion killers:
– The dandelion killer spray must be selective and persistent. A selective killer will help you when you are looking for the best dandelion killer that won’t kill grass and other plants around it. a persistent liquid dandelion killer will prevent the regrowth of the dandelions for a very long time
– The weed killer must have a wider usage. For instance, a multi-purpose weed killer is good in case you have a lot of other weeds growing amongst your plants. Simply make sure to read the label carefully to see that it also covers dandelions.
Here is a list of the best dandelion killers for you exclusively researched by our team.
|Espoma Organic Weed Preventer-25 lb. CGP25, 25 lb||
|Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3, 5,000 sq. ft.||
|Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns Concentrate2, 1 gal.||
|Roundup 4385010 Lawns1 Extended Wand, 1.33 GAL||
|Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed & Grass Killer (2.5 Gallon) Pet and Kid Safe No Glyphosate and No Hormone Disrupting Chemicals||
Let’s review these herbicides in detail below.
1. Espoma Organic Weed Preventer CGP25 Review – Best Dandelion Killer
The granulated formula comes in a pack of 25 pounds and sits at 1x1x1 inches. The best part about it is that it is extremely easy to pour, which makes application a breeze. It only kills the dandelion seeds, and that is why you can be rest assured that it will not be spreading to the other plants in your lawn or garden.
The formula is mostly corn–gluten-based, and you can expect your lawn to ger a dark green color post-application. It is instrumental in preventing the regrowth of weeds as in works by interrupting the growth of the root system itself. Apply it thrice in a year and deep breathe with relief.
Epsoma is safe for your children and pets. A great looking lawn and safety for your kids and animals; what more can you want.
2. Scott Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 Review – Best Dandelion and Clover Killer
This is the most effective dandelion killers safe for pets, the product has been found to feed lawns so that they thicken and push out the weeds. The double-action takes place simultaneously. The annoying weeds are being pushed out while your yard is also being nourished, helping better vegetation to grow in place of the annoying weeds. This is very helpful as the weeds are then unlikely to regrow from the same place.
The formula boasts of a ‘weed-grip technology’ that grips the weeds that you do not even see it is particularly potent on dandelions almost two times more potent than other anti-weed formulas.
The product is guaranteed to give you the best results when you apply it to an already damp lawn or garden. It is one of the most effective weed killers on the market today.
3. Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns Concentrate Review – Best Dandelion Killer that Won’t Kill Grass
Are you looking for the best all-rounder crabgrass and dandelion killer? We are going to recommend the best dandelion killer that is also capable of killing more than 250 varieties of weeds including St. Augustine, Baniagram, Bermudagrass, Bluegrass, Buffalograss, Centipedegrass, Fescues, Ryegrass and Zoysiagrass.
The formula is three times more potent than most multi weed killers but does not harm the lawn if you use it as directed on the label. The results are visible within hours because it becomes rainproof in a matter of one hour itself.
The weed killer comes in a spray can, but you can also connect it directly to your garden hose to use if for broadcast application without any complicated mixing and measuring. It is user friendly in every way.
4. Roundup 4385010 Lawns1 Extended Wand Review – Best Dandelion Killer Spray for Lawns
If your quest is to find a natural dandelion killer that will discourage regrowth of it, we have a potent formulation weed killer to recommend. It is formulated for the robust northern grasses like yellow nutsedge and other weeds famous for resurfacing within the shortest possible time.
The product begins working almost immediately, even though it may take about three hours for it to become rainproof. It is five times potent to be able to tackle the hard to kill a variety of weeds. It comes in ready to use packs and with a long wand applicator.
The company has two versions that are sold separately as a weed killer for southern grass and northern grass, respectively. It is a good idea to check out your need before clicking on the ‘pay.’
5. Best Natural Dandelion Killer – Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed & Grass Killer Review
If you are looking for a completely natural weed and dandelion killer, then look no further than Doctor Kirchner. The product is a lift-off of grandma’s recipe for weed killer and made 20 X more potent to make sure that it shows the result as soon as it is sprayed.
This is not a dandelion killer safe for grass because it is non-selective. It is a fitting answer to all the toxic chemical formulas that promise to be a good crabgrass and dandelion killer but end up making your lawn the most unsafe place for your kids and animals.
This 2.5 gallons PET bottle contains ocean saltwater, industrial-grade vinegar, and soap. There is no glyphosate and no hormone disruptors.
Best Dandelion Killer – Buyer’s Guide
If you have come this far, it is a given that you have trouble with dandelions growing in your lawn. Removing dandelions can be a challenging process, no doubt, mainly because these unwanted plants turn up so often and are known to grow long and thick.
You must have seen that a lot of organic dandelion killer brands on the market. But how do you know that they are the best choice for you?
Thankfully, there is a complete buying guide along with the best dandelion killer for lawns product reviews that will help you zero down on the best lawn dandelion killer and get rid of common myths.
Why And How To Kill Dandelions?
Dandelions are categorized to be weeds because they pop up everywhere, especially where they are not wanted. They grow long and thick, and that spells a big danger to the growing plants in the lawn/ garden and farm.
Dandelions are very hardy weeds, and they attack a lawn or a farm at two points:
– On the ground, their fluffy light seeds can ride on the wings of wind currents and make sure that your place is colonized even before you realize it.
– Inside the ground, where it’s tap root system goes down deep at almost 10 inches. It is true that quite often, it is impossible to remove the weed from under the ground altogether.
There are a lot of ways to make sure that dandelions do not invade your green space. You could either manually pull them out or go for a herbicide spray. There is best dandelion killer spray for lawns dime a dozen on the market that you can simply use off the shelf. There are also DIY dandelion killer tutorials on the internet that you can make at home within $10 or less!
Patience and perseverance are two virtues that you will need when you are dealing to do away with dandelions. Manual pulling out of dandelion weeds can mean a lot of work. But if your lawn or garden is relatively small and you are someone that freaks out with chemicals, you could give a shot at pulling them out, or you could settle down with dandelion killer organic options including pet-friendly dandelion killer range.
How To Remove Dandelion With Herbicide?
Information is power. The first step to ace any problem is to be well informed on the choices that are available to you. Once you understand what is available in the form of the best dandelion killer that won’t kill grass, you will be able to single out the one that works best for you.
Types Of Dandelion Killer
1. Selective Herbicide
A selective herbicide is a weed killer that allows you to choose what weeds you want to kill. It will not destroy all the generic growth in the vicinity. To sight an example, you are looking for a natural dandelion killer without killing grass, you must use a selective weed killer to attack dandelions, and the grass is going to be safest.
2. Non-Selective Herbicide
A non-selective weed killer is capable fo killing all the vegetation that comes under its vicinity. Doctor Kirchner, one of the most respected names in organic no hormone-disrupting weed killer, is non-selective. However, good your intention is if you use a nonselective weed killer, you will end up finishing all the waving.
Organic and Chemical Dandelion Killers
Based on the ingredients of the dandelion weed killer, you can divide them into organic and chemical weed killers. The all-natural dandelion killer may take longer to begin working and may require to be applied more than once, but it is considered to be a dandelion killer safe for dogs.
On the contrary, a chemical-based weed killer may potentially hurt the children and the kids because of the presence of toxic and heavy chemicals in it. But it is accurate and quick and may begin working in the first application only.
How It Works
Theses work on the weeds that are already grown or growing. Say you have been procrastinating spraying for a while and you realize that the dandelions are already growing is the time you should be grabbing a post-emergent dandelion killer that is a mixture of chemicals that ensures that it withers and dies and does not grow back.
There are a lot of types of post emergence herbicides for various environments and it is a good idea to read the labels before you go in for any particular one. The herbicides are lethal and they need to be handled with extreme caution making sure that you do not directly come in contact with them. Keep on gloves, mask, and goggles and spray on a well-saturated ground on all the exposed stem and leaves. Make sure that it is well ventilated when you spray.
A pre plant herbicide is applied and incorporated in the soil before planting or even after planting of the crops is done even though doing it before the crop emerges is the best time. A pre-plant herbicide will not prevent weed germination per se but they will ensure that they get absorbed by the weed as they germinate. Towards this end, you must spray them or apply them where they can be made available i.e. 1 to 2 inches of the top soil. That is considered to be the target place for this herbicide.
Pre emergence herbicide is considered to be the farmer’s and the lawn owner’s best friend. They are the most popular and effective substance when it comes to controlling weeds. As the name itself implies, they happen to work in a way that prevents them from growing itself in the first place. They build a layer of toxic substance in the soil where they enter the seeds by a process called osmosis in the soil and cause damage to the weed seed. A classic example of a pre-emergence herbicide that is used by farmers across the north and the south of the country is Glyphosate. It works like magic killing most of the weeds even before they sprout.
Best Time To Apply Dandelion Killer
– The best time to apply the dandelion killer is from the period when spring is slowly setting into the late fall times. Our research and analysis categorically state that the small and actively growing dandelion weeds are the best and most efficiently controlled.
– Pay close attention to the time of sprouting of the weed. A university of Manitoba states after careful experimentations that seeds of dandelion that are produced in the fall often do not germinate and sprout till spring. This can be the key to your successful understanding of how to control the colonization of dandelions in your lawn.
– In some cases, when you apply dandelion killers of your choice, only the top foliage of the weeds may be cleared off. The roots may still be strong. That is why it is essential to follow up with the weed treatment so that you destroy the plant that sprouts out again from the strong tap root system.
– You can apply a dandelion weed killer for up to three times in a year without damaging your lawn if you will choose the killer wisely as per your requirements and follow the instructions that are given by the manufacturer on the label of the product.
How To Prevent Dandelions?
There are no such lawns and gardens where dandelions do not grow. They are a perennial variety of the broadleaf weed, and they will most definitely show up in your lawn and garden, whether you love them or not.
If you are someone that regularly weeds the lawns, the chance of it colonizing your lawn is small, but you will find somewhere in smaller numbers. Here is a list of things that you may try to keep them at bay form your green space:
- Dandelions need direct sunlight to blossom. Mowing your grass at a higher setting can mean that no direct sunlight reaches them through the taller grass, naturally choking them.
- Have a disciplined de-weeding schedule that you follow without procrastinating.
- Leave the grass clippings on the lawn after mowing. Mulch that is left on the lawn will smother the weeds and hinder their growth. Do not rake and bag mulch immediately after moving.
- Using pre-emergent herbicide by late winter is a great way of preventing the spread. The seeds have the chance of favorable germination.
- Improve the basicity of the soil. Dandelions grow wildly in acidic soil; control the pH value of the soil
- Avoid pulling the weed by hand unless you can pull out the weed along with its deep tap root system.
- Call in the experts in case you think that controlling the dandelion is out of your reach.
How We Tested
Seven researchers took about seven and a half months to be able to collate data, come up with a conducive conclusion based on their research that would help the readers make pick the product consciously. Each of the best dandelion killers was used in farms in real-life conditions to check for their effectiveness in killing the weeds. The parameters we used to check the product was
– The selectiveness of the weed killer
– Organic and non-toxic
– Safe for children and pets
– Affordability and
– Practicality of use
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
Before we wrap up our best dandelion killer research guide, we will leave you with our top recommendation.
The best dandelion killer for lawns, according to our research, at lawnguider.com, is Espoma CGP25. The potent formula is not just good for dandelions alone but a lot of other pesky weeds such as crabgrass and clover. A lot of customers have rated it very high for being the best dandelion and clover killer. Unlike a lot of other products, this one delivers on its promise. It covers lawns and gardens very well and presents no hassles at all in the application. It is safe for pets and kids and guarantees that you and your family can spend a lot more time in your garden. Say ciao to all toxic weed killers today, bring home ESPOMA!
We love to hear from you all. If there is a weed killer that is great but did not find a mention here, do write in and tell us so that we can include it too. Please like and share with people you think would benefit from this. Till the next time!
Your lawn will get a dark green color post-application. Espoma is safe for children, pets, and the environment. What more can you want?